The meal was served by Travis Risvold at 7:30 PM and the meeting started at 8:00.
Officer Roll Call: Absent were Joe Christensen, Ken Wiley, Wade Derry, Ken Welch & Troy Koester.
Minutes: Motion by Joe Henkels to waive a reading of the August meeting minutes (Steve Rodrigues second). Motion passed.
Chaplain Report: Tom gave a brief lesson on remembering the Ten Commandments. “Jesus is the summation of all of these—love God, and love your neighbor.”
Grand Knight Report: We had been scheduled to have a First Degree ceremony on the 19th; however, as no one from the district had come forward, we rescheduled the ceremony. Our Council’s recruitment letters are ready and are awaiting Father Remi’s approval. Finally, Shannon thanked the Knights who had helped support Granger Praise Fest 2013.
District Deputy Report: None (Jason wasn’t present).
Treasurer and Financial Secretary Report: Council 12130 has $9,333 in checking, and 12,965.00 in our endowment CD. We deposited an additional $2,565 in August from the PID (“Tootsie Roll”) Drive. Paul also received a bill for $432 from Supreme (advertising, supplies, etc). There was some discussion over the purpose of having an endowment. The idea is to grow the endowment to roughly $50,000 & at that time have enough interest coming off of the endowment to pay for additional charitable works (scholarships for example). 10% of the money raised from each fundraiser goes into the endowment.
1) $440 in coats were ordered through Supreme for Coats for Kids 2013 (and we have add’l money for larger coats for older kids—talk to Troy Koester if anyone sees a good deal).
2) Larry S. said that he needed guys from 7am-11am for the Pancake Breakfast for Granger Days.
3) ALSO: Pancake Breakfasts were going to be held on September 20th (Granger Days), October 27th, November 24th, December 22nd, and January 26th. Larry agreed to check with Brenda on having a breakfast on February 16th instead of October 27th, as the October date is the same time as the Dowling Breakfast.
4) Shannon mentioned that the Knights were hosting Bingo on Sunday, from Noon-3pm for Granger days; only 3-4 guys would be needed.
5) Ken Geneser agreed to drive Deacon Tom’s truck in the Granger Days parade with Shannon and Father Remi in the back.
1) Families in Distress Fund (FID). Brenda requested a donation of $250 for Assumption’s Families in Distress Fund. This fund is specifically for this reason (such requests were paid from the General Fund in the past). Steve Rodrigues moved that a minimum of $250 from the upcoming Pancake Breakfast be used to fund the Knights’ share of the FID Fund (Jodi Bermel, second). Motion passed.
2) Snow Removal. In 2012, Jarrod Robinson had taken care of snow removal for the church and school. However, Deacon Tom told us he will not be able to do that in 2013. While Eddie Simons has agreed to remove snow after work and on weekends, there is still a need for folks to clear snow for the school and church at other times. Prayerfully consider creating or being a part of a “snow removal team,” and talk to Deacon Tom. No further action taken.
3) Capital Campaign. The Diocese is holding a capital campaign to raise money for both capital projects and for the needs of the parishes. 50% of all money raised by each parish will be returned to the parish, and can be used in any way to see fit—capital improvements (new roof for school, sprinkler system for church and school, pay debt, etc). No further action taken.
4) CRHP. Shannon suggested that Council members prayerfully consider attending the Fall 2013 CRHP retreat. No action taken/needed.
5) Fall 2013 Football Frenzy. In order to help fund the Knights of Columbus State Convention, the council is selling Football Frenzy tickets. The suggested donation is $10, and there are coupons on the tickets (even if you don’t have a winning ticket). See Shannon for details and for tickets. No action taken/needed.
6) Kitchen/Church Help. Tom shared that there are maintainance needs in the kitchen and around the church. The kitchen grease hoods need cleaning, the pipe by the hoods needs painting, and there is a pin oak by the diagonal parking lot that needs trimmed. Consider donating your time. No action taken/needed.
7) Faith Sharing Groups/Vatican II Reflections with Msgr. Beeson. Msgr. Larry Beeson will be at Assumption on October 27th at 7pm in the gym to kick off Assumption’s fall faith sharing groups. The groups will meet until December 15th, and discuss the Constitution on the Modern Church from Vatican II. No action taken/needed.
8) JOPPA Outreach Dinner. Joe Henkels mentioned that the JOPPA Outreach Auction and Dinner was coming up, and that we have supported their Auction/Dinner in the past. Steve Rodrigues moved to donate $750 to JOPPA’s Auction/Dinner (Jodi Bermel, second). Motion passed.
9) 4th Degree Ceremony is Oct 5th, at Christ the King Parish Hall (5711 SW 9th St Des Moines, IA 50315) Consider taking the next step in your Knighthood. Ask Shannon or Travis for more information.
10) Knights’ Masses/Parish Ministries. We need Brother Knights to serve as ministers, so that our Knights Mass is in fact served by members of the order. Next training is September 29th at 1pm; check the bulletin for more information.
11) Shirts. Shannon will set up a link on the website (https://www.assumptionknights.org/) so that we can order new shirts. Information came this week.
Good of the Order: Pray for the family, friends, and soul of Dr. Bill Erps, Doug Erps’ father. The visitation is Friday the 20th at 5pm in Carroll and the funeral will be Saturday the 21st, 10:30am, at St. John’s Lutheran Church (also in Carroll). There is a group of Assumption members going to each.
Meeting adjourned at 8:40pm.