Knights of Columbus Meeting (March 19, 2015)
1st Degree for our newest Knight, Colin Creighton – welcome to our council Colin!
Called to order at 7:59 pm.
Roll call — absent was our Lecturer, everyone else present.
Reading of minutes from previous meeting was waived, motion by Fernandez, 2nd by Slack.
Grand Knight’s Report: General discussion regarding success of the Lenten Fish Fries, continue to need help for all tasks.
District Deputy’s Report: Would like a good showing of Knights to support the 2nd and 3rd Degree at Assumption on Sunday, March 22nd. Need help to set up, volunteers @ 11:30, registration @ 12:30.
Treasurer’s Report: $9,080 in checking and $14,594 in endowment CD.
Financial Secretary’s Report: None
- Memorial for the unborn – Pricing for tear drop monument, similar to Sacred Heart in West Des Moines, but made out of granite is $4,673 for 6” think monument and printing on one side, $5,800 with printing on front and back. If go with an 8” thick granite monument, price is $6,198 with printing on one side, $7,300 with printing on front and back. All options include a granite base. Stone origination and cut actually comes from China. Motion for 6” granite monument with printing on both sides by Wiese, 2nd by Risvold, discussion followed with motion tabled.
- Memorial for the unborn – Pricing for the tall rectangle version is in the $3,300 range in granite with printing on both sides. Motion by Risvold, 2nd by Fernandez with motion tabled. Verification of pricing for teardrop and tall rectangle version to be verified by Bob Mullen with voting to occur during the April meeting.
- St. Vincent De Paul Society – looking for sponsorship at upcoming Willow Creek golf outing. Motion for $250 sponsorship by Risvold, 2nd by Slack, approved.
- Scholarships for graduating high school seniors will once again take place for Assumption Seniors – Motion of $3,000 (same as prior year) by Altier, 2nd by Risvold, approved. Deadline for receipt of letters, applying for the scholarships, is April 27th. The scholarship committee decides the recipients.
- With our Council being a Star Council, we receive $4.50 back from Supreme for every member. Thus, we need more members, so ask and recruit.
- Our council received accolades from the Acting State Deputy for our assistance with the Joppa Holiday program. Joppa’s mission is to create a community of unconditional love, support and hope for the homeless, and to help get people off the streets in Polk County.
- Knight of the Year = Dave Nixon
- Family of the Year = David, Gretchen, Joseph, Matthew and Marcus Watznauer
- Next Meeting = April 16th
Good of the Order: A couple of relatives of brother knights were mentioned to keep in our prayers.
Adjourned at 8:53pm