Meeting of Knight of Columbus Council 12130
January 21st, 2021
Meeting was Called to Order by GK Wiese at 7:11pm
Opening prayer: Our Father
Pledge of Allegiance was recited
Roll Call of Officers – 10 officers present.
Chaplain’s Message – Dcn. Dennis reminded us as Lent approaches, that this is an ideal time to examine our conscience. Are we growing as men of God? If not, how can we this Lent?
Reading of Mtg Minutes – Motion to waive (as minutes are posted online) by Br. Slack, second by Br. Musich. Motion passed.
GK report –
- Restrictions on social gatherings expire in Feb, GK Weise anticipates offering another live KC meeting with a meal in the gym. May or may not provide a Zoom link.
- Fish Fries took a hit in 2020, we’re going to try and overcome that somewhat in ’21 with a to-go option (more info coming in New Business).
- Thanks to all who helped with November’s Fall Cleanup – we had a significant number of Knights, families and youth and were able to get the job done in around two hours.
- Joppa To-Go Christmas Party went well. Many thanks to Joe Henkels & Ken Welch for their hard work through the night on meal prep, and on all the kind souls who donated time to help cook a turkey, prep, or assemble meals. We also thank Steve VanBrocklin for his donation to support the Christmas Party. Joppa also extends its gratitude to the Council for the $500 donation in support of their ministry.
District Deputy Report – Dennis Westover was absent so no report
Treasurer’s Report – Br Martin reported balances of accounts. The Audit, due 02/17/21, is also completed and ready to submit.
Financial Secretary’s Report – Br Letsch reported that 2021 dues have gone out electronically, & second reminders have gone out also. Nearly 70% of the Council is paid up for the year! Thanks to all who’ve paid.
Reading of Bills and Communications – No bills or communications
Report of any current committees –
- Retention: No report.
- Chancellor’s: No report.
- Steve Tatz, K of C Insurance Agent:
- Any HS senior going to a Catholic college or university can apply for a $1,500/year scholarship through Supreme. Deadline is 04.01 – check with him for details.
- He is committed to helping with recruitment for ’21 and beyond…there are several good videos on who the Knights are and what we do on KofC.org, and he also reminded us of the “Father Wants You” campaign (in coordination with Fr. Dom of course).
- E-memberships also help get men into the KC’s – Statz is the promo code for a free year’s membership!
- Must complete a Council 1st Degree to join #12130 or any other Council however.
Officer Meetings – Meeting was held on 12/14/2020. Began developing plans for Fish Fry’s (Ash Weds is 02/17!), caught up on reports and discussed meeting guidelines from Supreme.
PID/Tootsie Rolls – The Council wanted to express their appreciation to Br’s Dave Nixon and Dan Schwarzkopf for their many years of coordinating the PID Drive. Br Travis Risvold is taking over for Dave Nixon as coordinator, but he will be relying on Dan & Dave’s support till he gets ‘his feet wet.’ As a final gesture, Br Nixon was still able to raise $1,250 for PID in 2020! That money was split between Camp Sunnyside ($220), On With Life ($220) & Special Olympics ($440). The Council is well-stocked going forward, as we have 14 cases for 2021.
Annual Survey of Fraternal Activities – Thanks to all who’ve gotten those in. Please continue to submit them as we need to record hours. Your help is appreciated!
Fish Frys – “Fish Heads” = GK Wiese, Br Watznauer, Br Elbert, and Br Christiansen reported the 2021 Fish Fry plan.
- Drive Thru only. Sign Up Genius for prep on Thurs and work on Fri will be used.
- Limited menu – baked or fried fish, baked potato, container of cole slaw AND/OR a whole, 12” cheese pizza. Dessert is a pre-baked chocolate chip cookie from the CWC (two cookies if you get a pizza).
- Usual ads will go up, modified – Br Bermel suggested the Granger newsletter, also – we’re also going in the Catholic Mirror this year. Brenda is looking into the Grimes coffee shop news also.
- “Fish Heads” want to thank Br Letsch for his help in developing this year’s plan, as well.
Pizza Night – the Council is heading up a Sat, 02/06 fundraiser for NCYC. It’s a chance for us to show off the new 12” pizzas (sausage and mushroom or pepperoni, whole pizzas only) & test out the drive through logistics. Right after Mass on Saturday February 6th…
Next Meeting – 02/18/2021. It’s also our first Fish Fry Prep night, details forthcoming. May be live-only, may have Zoom – stay tuned.
Good of the Order – attached.
Closing prayer – Hail Mary
Meeting Adjourned at 8:20pm. Moved by Br Slack, seconded by Bermel. Motion passed.