December 2018 Minutes – Council #12130
Knights of Columbus Meeting (December 13, 2018)
7:45 PM meeting called to order, following a Christmas Gathering with the Catholic Women’s Club
Roll call — absent were Grand Knight (Kendall Geneser), recorder (Dan Altier)**Special thank you to Merlyn Wiese for taking and completing the minutes**, warden (Chris Kitt), trustees (Dan Merry and Travis Risvold) and advocate (Joe Fernandez).
Reading of November minutes was waived, motion by Tom Letsch, 2nd Tony Slack – approved.
Grand Knight’s Report via Deputy Grand Knight: The fund raising breakfast event for the Wheeler family raised $2,100; this breakfast was our best ever in attendance showing great support for the Wheeler’s. Appreciation to Larry Spellerberg and Marty Herrmann for their efforts, along with all Knights helping out. Regarding donations, we have $3 K left in our budget for gift giving, have already given $20 K to various organizations. As usual, has been a busy past couple of months, thanks to everyone to make things happen for our Council.
District Deputy Report: (Dennis Westover) The Virgin Mary Icon has been picked up for our District, will be displayed throughout the District over the upcoming weeks, Assumption is scheduled for mid-January. The icon will be displayed throughout the state of Iowa over the next two years.
Treasurer’s Report: $4,216.50 in checking and $16,700 in Certificate of Deposit (CD). The Tootsie Roll money has already been distributed. Approximately $1,300 of new Council dues has been received. Discussion surrounding capping our CD at either $10 K or $15 K and using the remaining funds for normal operations. The “Rainy Day Fund” motion, by Joe Henkels, of establishing a $10 K threshold and when/if the balance goes below $10 K, we would once again place ten percent (10%) of all proceeds from various events back into this fund. This motion was second by Tom Letsch. Motion was carried but opposed by Dave Nixon. It will take two separate passing votes in order to use money out of the CD and establish at the $10 K “Rainy Day Fund” threshold.
Financial Secretary: Thanks for sending in dues/payments. There are a few requirements that remain for the removal of Knights needing to be removed from our Council.
- Dorothy’s House – $499 donation was previously voted on for payment
- Wheeler’s fundraising – not only our Council’s fund raising breakfast, but other Councils within the Assembly together raised approximately $15,000 – phenomenal effort for this very worthy cause.
- January 27th breakfast is slated to benefit GiGi’s Play House (biscuits & gravy, & scrambled eggs).
- Officer’s Meeting held on December 1st, discussed our CD, which was originally intended as an endowment. (Refer to Treasurer’s Report and motion, to be discussed again at the January meeting.)
- New Knight is Ed Nixon, welcome!
- Doug Albert recently completed his 3rd Degree – congratulations!
- Wreaths Across America (wreath placements on veterans graves Saturday, December 15th at 8:00 AM at the IA Veterans Cemetery Van Meter, IA)
- Joppa Christmas – annual event, always held on December 21st; served 300 in the past, prep work at Assumption on Thursday evening December 20th, meal preparation Friday morning and afternoon, with delivery and serving Friday evening at the Walnut Creek Church, East Village – Des Moines.
- 4th Degree Exemplification will take place in Des Moines (downtown Marriott) on Friday, May 3rd as part of the State Convention (May 3-5).
Adjournment at 8:23 PM)