April 2016 Minutes – Council #12130
Knights of Columbus Meeting (April 21, 2016)
Rosary @ 6:30 PM, meal @ 7:00 with meal prayer by Travis Risvold, then call to order @ 7:35
Opening Prayer for meeting by Dc. Dennis Wright
Roll call — absent were our Lecturer – Dc. T. Schenk and Trustee 2 – T. Koester
Reading of minutes from previous meeting was waived, motion by J. Henkels, 2nd T. Slack, approved
Grand Knight’s Report: The Spring Clean Up held on April 2nd went very well. Our Grand Knight will not seek a second year term, a tremendous Thank You for the support of the Council and the Parish. Our Council has been an invaluable resource, keep up the good work.
On behalf of our District Deputy, thanks for our full Council representation at the State Convention by K. Geneser and J. Fernandez.
Treasurer’s Report: Checking balance is $10,603 — Endowment CD @ $16,019. Some outstanding bills, but are minimal.
Financial Secretary: Forty members have yet to pay their dues, final notices will be sent out soon. For those transferring to other councils, encourage the completion of a Form 100.
- Joppa Outreach camp cleanup was April 9th, very good results. Approximately 300 volunteer with 52,000 lbs. of trash was collected from the camps.
- Culture of Life Tootsie Pop Drive will be held on May 7th at two locations, Casey’s in Granger and Fareway in Grimes.
- State Convention was held on April 15-17 in downtown Des Moines. Report by our delegates K. Geneser and J. Fernandez – there was a breakout session, which was new this year. New 4th degree for Marty Herrmann and Joe Fernandez.
- The monument (In Loving Memory of the Unborn Child) has been ordered and on its way.
- Storage Unit – Pricing is now free, assuming we still want to move forward with this option, further discussion is needed.
- Hot Rod for Hogs – Proceeds from the 2015 event for the American Legion – Granger is in a special account and available for use.
Guest Speaker: InnerVisions Health Care – Brian Gonzales, Director of Development – Clinic Update, in June, will be celebrating their 5th Anniversary. Thus far 368 babies have been saved! Get involved, praying for women, looking for volunteers. An upcoming Gala, Tickets = $50, Table = $500, or Sponsorship. The more information received, the more likelihood one will keep a child. “Empowering with knowledge and resources to save.”
- Scholarships – typically three scholarships @ $1,000 each. Motion of $3,000 with the committee deciding on how best to distribute by J. Fernandez, 2nd by T. Slack, approved.
- St. Vincent de Paul Charity Golf Outing on May 9th – various sponsorship levels available. Motion by J. Fernandez for a $250 Practice Green Sponsorship, 2nd by T. Slack, approved.
- Steak Fry by our K of C agent (Charles Stastny) & General Agent (Shawn Still) on May 18th, wives/friends are encouraged to attend, all are invited to learn about fraternal benefits.
- Knights Mass will take place May 7th and 8th, with a K of C representative to be available for any inquiries.
- Knights Breakfast on Sunday April 24th with sausage/egg/cheese sandwiches, hash browns, coffee and OJ available after both Sunday Masses..
- Clothing – new fleece vests/jackets available and silk screen t-shirts. Can order at: https://www.assumptionknights.org/knights-gear/
- Per Dc. Tom Schenk email, the Knights have been asked to move the organ from the day chapel to the rectory. – Tabled
- Scholarships for kids in Ghana, Fr. Dominic’s home town. Seven students need help, four to complete high school and go on to college, three needing help to complete junior high and go on to senior high. Looking for $5,000 or any amount, a separate fund will be established, funding direct to school, administered by Fr. Dominic. Motion for $2,500 by T. Letsche, 2nd by J. Fernandez, approved.
- Committee formation to fill officers for the 2016-2017 fraternal year – committee members to include current Grand Knight, Deputy Grand Knight, Recorder and Outside Guard.
- Joppa Outreach has four tickets to a Royal’s game in Kansas City for May or June – no takers, M. Wiese to provide to Assumption School in hopes a teacher’s family will find a use.
- Rosary for entire parish before the Thursday evening K of C-meeting Mass (once a month) – public welcome, starting in July, motion by J. Fernandez, 2nd by Dc. D. Wright, approved.
- Fr. Dominic will have Monthly Benediction and Adoration, held on the third Tuesday of each month from 6:00 to 7:00 pm.
Good of the Order = Joe Willis expresses thanks for prayers and support, has received “all clear” status.
Closing Prayer by T. Risvold (adjourned @ 8:53 PM)
Next Meeting = May 19th